Facilitate the effective running of the Centre attached to HMP Birmingham.
To assist with undertaking all the tasks necessary for the day-to-day running of the Centre and to contribute to the development of the Centre.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILIITES
Under the supervision of the Co-Managers:
1. Create a pleasant and welcoming environment at the Centre in which to meet and greet visitors.
2. Provide a ‘listening ear’ to prisoners’ families and friends and display empathy.
3. Provide information about the prison.
4. Provide information about the Assisted Prison Visits Scheme and establish that visiting arrangements are accessible to visitors.
5. Provide child friendly information.
6. When the Co-Managers are not available, ensure that the Centre is staffed by a sufficient number of staff and volunteers and co-ordinate and maintain a rota to that end.
7. Assist the Co-Managers in the recruitment of volunteers.
8. Assist the Co- Managers in the training of staff and volunteers.
9. Assist with ascertaining the needs of visitors through the use of questionnaires, forums etc.
10. Establish relationships and communicate effectively with other agencies as appropriate.
11. Help to signpost visitors to external agencies as and when appropriate and take responsibility for displaying information.
12. Assist with the oversight of the play and children’s activities in the Visitors’ Centre and visits hall and also ensure there is provision for young people. When requested, arrange and deliver such activities. Oversee the maintenance of equipment and materials.
13. Assist with Family Visits and help to provide activities in the main visits hall, working closely with the families, the prisoner and their children.
14. Help with the running of a support telephone service.
15. Maintain good working relationships with prison staff at all levels.
16. Attend relevant meetings within the prison as and when required.
17. Assist with the collection of statistical information and maintain appropriate records.
18. Maintain the security of the Centre at all times and ensure that proper Fire and Health & Safety regulations are observed.
19. Ensure visitors have access to refreshments.
20. Adhere to the guidance contained within the Employees’ Handbook and be prepared to follow formally agreed discipline and grievance procedures.
21. Adhere to all HALOW (Birmingham) and prison policies & procedures which will include: Confidentiality, Equal Opportunities and Diversity, Safeguarding of Children, Young People and Adults at Risk, Health & Safety and Security.
22. Participate in staff meetings, training and your own supervision.
23. Attend such training as may from time to time be necessary to carry out the tasks required.
24. Staff will be part of the Community Engagement Strategy which promotes links between the community and HMP Birmingham.
25. Undertake, from time to time, other reasonable duties appropriate to the post as considered necessary by the Management Committee.